Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Blizzard takes Real ID WAY to far.

I've already said that I would never use the Real ID system because it was just flat out wrong to force people to use their real information in a game.  Now Blizzard is going to use your Real ID whenever you post on the forums.  So the whole world can now see your real name.  Isn't that fucking nice?

Check out the article over at MMO-C.

This is basically Blizzards way of saying that if you are not willing to share your real life information with the world you can not post on the forums.

I see good and bad to this.  Trolling will be completely stopped with the exception of really stupid people.  Most people that make low level alts on different servers just to troll and insult every chance they get will be defeated.  Everyone will know it is them because you can only post under one name.  That is the good.

The bad is what I always say is bad.  Giving out real information on a public forum is retarded... there is no other word for it.  Do not do it.  Yet now Blizzard makes you do it whether you like it or not if you want to post on the forums. 

I do not know about you, but if I where new and needed help I might look to the forums.  When I know the whole world is now going to know my real name... I won't post.  I go without knowing or find another source to ask my question.

Blizzard needs to create an option for a one time alias for the Real ID.  Everyone would be allowed one and one only and if you want to change it you need to pay for a name change just like you would with a character.  Like I can link the name TheGrumpyElf to my Real ID and then every place I go to will use that.  No matter what character I try to post from, it will say that.  It still handles the trolls and does not give away my own personal information.  That would be better.

Blizzard has just won the "Moron of the Year" award for complete and utter stupidity. 

Congrats Blizzard.

No comments:

Post a Comment