Tuesday, March 29, 2011

No Soup For You!

So last night was a raid night for my guild.  We got a little bit of a late start because I suffered a bout a healing failure on the second to last boss of SFK and we ended up wiping three times.  They where our only wipes but they where still wipes.  If not for that we would have been on time. 

I still don't know what I did wrong but I could not keep people up for the life of me.  I had never had any problems healing it on my Priest and my Priest has much less in terms of gear then my Shaman does.  Oh well, everything else went fine.  I'll try not to be a total failure at it next time around.

So we started the raid about 10 minutes late, not the end of the world.

Flash forward.

BWD, second boss.  ODS.  I explain the fight to everyone, two new people there tonight, ask for questions, none pop up.  I tell the main tank it is on him.  He puts up a ready check.  Everyone is ready.  We pull.  I mark, sting and then hang there.

Nothing.  Hit 2, 3 then 4.  They all light up but nothing shoots.  I hit 4 a few more times. 2, 3, 2, 3, 2, 3.  Nothing.  I mouse click them.  Nothing.  Blah.

I've had this happen before.  It is actually kind of funny when the game catches up.  It will fire everything I did all at one time when I come back.  Quite sick from a DPS standpoint. 

BTW, this is why the query system was put in, so people can not stokepile attacks like that.  People where doing it on purpose in arena by opening dozens of windows to youtube and starting videos to force that to happen.

Of course I was not doing this on purpose.  The last thing you ever want to do in a raid is stand still on fights where you know you might need to move.  A few seconds later, I DCed.  It was not a game crash or error.  It was my service provider.  It crapped out.  My whole area lost service last night.

When I first DCed I disconnected the net and reconnected it.  It is really rare this happens but it has happened before and this usually fixes it.  Nothing happened.  I went and turned on my TV to see if cable was working and it wasn't.  Looked like it was everything. 

I waited about 20 minutes for the net to come back up and it never did, so I called it a night after calling the cable company.  They said they had no time table for when it would be up and I am not going to sit at the computer waiting.

As odd as it might sound from me I do not consider this anything to be grumpy about.  As the saying goes, shit happens.  I needed a night off anyway so I popped in a DVD of season 5 of Quantum Leap and watched two episodes before going to bed.  I'll pick up my dead body when I get home from work.

I am guessing they waited a bit and then either called the raid or replaced me.  There were about 5 or 6 people online that where not in the raid when I DCed so I am sure one of them had a character that could have subbed in.  I'd be willing to bet they just called it however.

I liked having a night off.  It's just what the doctor ordered.


  1. That's the right attitude to have. Obviously, it's too bad it was right during a pull and probably resulted in a wipe, but eh, what can you do. Isn't it ironic that these unexpected disconnects always happen right during important moments? :P Still, better to just shrug and not get stressed out over it!

  2. They wiped for sure.

    It sure seems DCs always happen at the exact worst time they could. As if there is some evil DC god looking over us and laughing his butt off when he does it.