Friday, April 16, 2010

Celestial Steed. Good for the game or bad?

I am a geek, completely and totally and I make enough money to spend on stupid things that serve no real purpose.  Hence the reason I play warcraft.  If I were really worried about money I would not be stupid enough to be spending cash to play a game when there are hundreds if not hundreds of thousands of games online that are free.  So with that said, I bought the Steed and the new pet without even giving it a moments thought.

I have been reading all over the forums people for and people against the Steed being sold.  I can see both points from both sides with an open mind if it were not for the fact that both sides keep saying the same thing and neither of them ever address the bigger story of the Steed being sold.

There main points:

Against:
1) Only an idiot would spend money for pixels.
2) It is unfair to people that can not afford it.
3) It sets a slippery slope in motion that will destroy the game.

For:
1) I can afford it so why not buy it.
2) I collect mounts and I want it.
3) I think it is cute and unique.

Okay, for and against, in a nutshell, as the people are complaining on the forums all over the WoW universe at the moment.  Sure there are other for and against arguments but no one seems to have the right argument for or against, at least as I see it.

The real reason people should be against it.
- Some people do not have the extra cash to spend on it and while many say it is cosmetic only it really is not.  The pet is cosmetic only.  It will not effect your game in any way, shape or form.  The Steed however will indeed effect game play.  Even if only on a small level.  So say you can afford to pay your monthly fee but not the extra 25 bucks, you won't get it. No big deal.  (Rant Incoming: Honestly, I think if 25 bucks is going to hurt you that badly you should not even be paying to play a game to begin with.  If 25 bucks in a problem, then 15 a month is a waste too.  Stop playing a game so you can stop complaining about money.  But back on topic here. End Rant Here)  The mount is account bound.  All accounts you make will get the mount.  Which means you will realistically never have to pay to buy a mount at all.  Lets say for example I just started playing now.  I would only have to buy my training, but not my mounts each time.  It would make my game play much easier in the essence that I do not have to wait to make gold to get it.  Sure, it is not a huge advantage to a new player, but that means new players with money get mounts easier without having to buy one in game.  It is selling a mount outside of the game.  Basically, it is like selling a piece of equipment, be it armor or a weapon.  It is something other new players without real money to spend will have to save to buy in game but people with money will get it with real cash.  That is the real problem with it.  If it were just a mount and that is all and it could only be purchased on an 80 and only for that one 80 then it would just be purely cosmetic.  But it is not.  It does give an advantage in game. (even if that advantage is only saving a few gold in game)  NOTE: Not completely sure on this fact yet.  Some say it scales on your fastest mount, some say it scales on your skill.  This commentary is based on it scaling on skill and would change if it is based on fastest owned mount.

The real reason people should be for it.
- The more money Blizzard makes, the more reason it has to keep making new content and keep the game advancing.  The more the game makes, the more they will want to expand it so it will get more popular so it can in turn make them even more money.  Money is good, it is the great motivator.  Do you think WoW would still have so many updates if they were not making a nice profit on it?  Nope, the game would die out like many before it. People should be glad that people are buying the mounts.  More money means more profit for Blizzard, but also more accessible cash for them to make upgrades to the servers, the game and the community.  People should not be bitching at the people that bought them, they should be thanking them for supporting the game in a way they are either unwilling or unable to do.

Now to go back to the original for and against lines just so I can leave my grumpy elf comment on each one.  Only because it make me grumpy seeing this many stupid people coming up with the same lame arguments over and over.

Against:
1) Only an idiot would spend money for pixels.
--- You pay a monthly fee to play with pixels and you are calling someone else and idiot for paying for pixels.  Pot, meet Kettle.
2) It is unfair to people that can not afford it.
--- If you can not afford 25 bucks for one thing you should rethink paying 15 per month.  Do not spite someone else because they have a better job (or mommy or daddy does) then you do.
3) It sets a slippery slope in motion that will destroy the game.
--- You would get a lot further with that argument if you explained it like I did. You can't just say that and then say nothing to support it.  Most people that use that term heard it on law and order and do not know what it means anyway so I understand why you did not explain your reason for thinking that.

For:
1) I can afford it so why not buy it.
---- I can afford a trip to the Iraq war zone but I am not about to jump on and plane and go there.  Just because you can afford it is not a good reason. Are you that insecure that the fact you can afford 25 bucks is a good enough reason to buy something to show off that you can afford it?
2) I collect mounts and I want it.
--- This is the only good reason I have seen often on the forums and I will admit I think it is a good reason because it is the reason I bought it too.  But if you go running around on it all the time then you are using it as an excuse for wanting to show off just like the insecure jerk in the first for statement.  I got mine and learned it.  Have not mounted it once, even to look at it, I can see everyone else on their mount.  I ride my bear because I like my bear.
3) I think it is cute and unique.
--- Okay, I will give you the "it is cute" part for about 2, maybe 3 days, after that it will lose it's luster because you will see everyone and their mother on it all day strutting around Dal to show off that they have 25 bucks to spend.  Oh, and that addresses the unique part.  What the fuck are you smoking? Unique?  Take a look in Dal or any major city and try to tell me that it is unique.  Did you make the 25 bucks to buy it by selling that shit you are smoking thinking it is unique.

I think, in a way, this is the first case of selling a piece of equipment.  To the average 80 it means nothing, they would have the money to buy mounts from their main should they make a new character.  But to a brand new player to the game buying a mount that scales with all skills instead of spending that little bit of extra gold is a minor advantage.   Not much, but still a minor advantage.  Who knows where this little advantage will lead Blizzard in the years to come.

Make the "for sale" mounts usable only at max level and it will take away my main gripe with it.  Sell them all, I would buy them.  I will also be the one that breaks the mold and does not run around like the king of the world because I had 25 bucks to spend... unless you make a bear mount. ;)  I love bear mounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment