What exactly is a good reputation grind? I guess that would depend on the person you ask. Some people do not like grinds at all.
I had a conversation about reputations a while back with a few guild mates and it basically came down to me being the lone person that liked the BC grinds where you ran the dungeons for reputation and get the tabard at exalted as a reward. They all seemed to like the newer approach where you get to friendly, buy a tabard, and then grind with it on to get reputation.
I tried to point out, what I thought of as obvious, that in the end it is the same thing. The difference is the dungeons gave specific reputation instead of the tabard you where wearing. Like in BC if you where going for lower city you would do the dungeons that gave lower city reputation until exalted instead of just putting on a tabard and getting exalted with lower city from every dungeon.
In the end, while it would work out to be the same thing, it came down to what is easier. They liked the tabard to get reputation idea because it was easier. They could get the reputation they sought from any dungeon instead of having to do a specific one for the reputation they wanted.
Okay, I can accept that I guess because in a way it is easier. I just thought of it from the standpoint of factions should give reputation for dungeons that they have a personal interest in. It made more sense to me.
If in the end it is indeed the same thing then why do I like the BC version more than the modern one?
I also like that there where some reps that you would grind mobs or items to turn in and they where not connected to dungeons at all. For me there is something about going around killing hundreds and thousands of orges to get reputation that seemed logical, seemed fun even whereas my friends said they hated that. They wish there were a tabard option for them as well.
While I might be open minded enough to accept the tabard for every dungeon instead of dungeon specific reputation as it is basically the same, just an easier version of it I do not like the removal of kill grinds and gather grinds.
To me killing all those orges was a good grind. To me gathering things for the consortium was a good grind. I like grinds like that.
I am not a fan of the daily quest grind like for TB. While I like to do dailies and am happy to get reputation from them it just seems sort of like it defeats the purpose of a grind. I would grind TB to get the ground mount, the flying mount and the pet anyway, so giving me reputation for something I was doing anyway seems like it is not so much of a grind, it is something that is being given to me as a gift for doing something I was going to do anyway. Where is the grind in getting something for free basically?
I guess that is what makes me feel different about things. I like to grind to do something. I do not like to be given something for free for doing something I was going to be doing anyway.
Blizzard often talks about wanting to get people out in the world more but I think they missed the point of grinds being good for that aspect of the game. Grinds, if designed well, get people out in the world.
I spent a lot of time grinding orges for reputation, I was out in the world to do it. Even if only a small selection of world it was still out in the world.
Having people need to do things, and not just daily quests, to get reputation gets them out in the world. Isn't that what they want?
Lets take a look at some of the cataclysm reputations that could have been better, in my opinion, if they made them more of an old school grind instead of the easy version they have become.
Baradin's Wardens / Hellscream's Reach
- Have the outside dailies give 50 reputation each.
- Have the inside dailies give 100 reputation each.
- Make the roaming alliance/horde guards give 25 each for the one leader and 10 each for the two supporting guys.
- Have every TB PvP kills give 1 reputation each.
- Have the allaince/horde leftovers give 5 reputation each.
Now you have a grind that is actually a grind and gets people out in the world more. A lot better then just popping in and doing some dailies for two and a half weeks and getting to exalted, in my opinion at least.
Wildhammer Clan / Dragonmaw Clan
- Have the dailies give 50 reputation each.
- Have the daily elite quest give 100 reputation.
- Make collecting clan insignia's a repeatable quest instead where you turn in 20 for 100 reputation but they are only a 33% drop rate.
- Killing enemy named mobs would give 10 reputation.
- Killing enemy mobs would give 1 reputation.
- Have GB trash give 1 reputation each and bosses give 25.
Now you have a grind that will get you out in the world more and feels more like you are earning it and it will not take forever, which is what scares some people.
- Add a few more dailies and lower the reputation of the two already there to 50 each.
- Add a repeatable daily quest to collect 10 pristine camel hides that are a 25% drop rate from camels for 100 reputation.
- Make killing certain enemies like the spirits or elementals in the city type areas give 1 reputation per kill.
- Make killing non phased non ramkahen cat people give 2 reputation.
- Being it is a perfect gathering area make bonus quests for gatherers, as we have seen before, where they need to collect 10 of something while herbing, mining or skinning.
- Have VP and LCoTV trash give 1 reputation each and bosses give 25.
Now that seems a little more like you are earning the reputation to me instead of just throwing on a tabard and getting it for free while doing dungeons you are going to be doing anyway.
I could go into the rest of the reputations but it really is not needed. I am sure I got my point across. Reputation that require a little bit of a grind will get people out in the world more. It will makes people actually have to earn them as well.
The way the system is now there is no reason anyone should ever not have the main reputations not at exalted unless it is an alt character and even at that, it is entirely possible that alts can get exalted without even trying thanks to the do nothing but equip it design of tabards now.
As it is now, if you have the five dungeon reputations exalted all it means is that you remembered to put on your tabard, with a change, it would be mean that you actually earned those reputations from doing something just a little more involved then putting on a tabard. You would have actually earned the reputation.
I really do miss a good reputation grind.
Short Story: A Shield Against the Storm
3 hours ago