Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What Happened to Social Skills?

Seriously folks, what is the problem with people in this game?

I am one of those quiet people in your group.  I do my job as best as I can and I know all the fights no matter what we run into.  If someone wants to be social and talk a little I can play along.  I might not be a social player but I know that sometimes some people need human interaction even if it is only on the net and if they say they hope something drops off the boss I will gladly type good luck because it is the right thing to do.  Nothing wrong with being civil is there?

That is what is wrong with so many people in the game however.  Running yesterday after a tank said that before pulling a boss one of the DPS said just shut up and pull.  Would it have hurt him to say good luck?  It would have been faster to type good luck for sure.  The boss will get pulled at the same time no matter which of those two answers he said.  The shut up and pull comment had no place in the game and people like that are ruining the game for many.

Mind you I did not know the tank or the DPS, they where just random people, but it still bothered me to see someone being treated that way.  Why be rude?  Did it serve a purpose, accomplish a task, meet a quota or something?

Good luck would have worked just as well, if not better.  I don't know the tank, I don't know how they think, but I do know many people that when addressed with rudeness like that will fire back with rudeness and a downward spiral happens.  It could have made the tank feel upset which could in turn effect his game play and possible mean he does a bad job or even worse, a horrible job that turns into a wipe.

Why are people so uptight?  It seems like everyone is wound so tight and their lack of social skills shows, big time.

I am not a social person.  As I said earlier, I can go my entire game time never speaking to anyone and I would be very happy.  Yet I don't act like that.  Decent people with social skills, even if not social themselves, know how to deal with others.

That is the biggest problem in WoW as I see it right now.  It is the player base.  A base of people that are all lacking even in the slightest of social graces.  A base of people that grew up thinking that what they say has no impact on others.  A base of people that do not need to fear the repercussions their words.  A base of people that all believe that anyone that is not them fits neatly into the category of a baddie or a no lifer.

We can blame this on the internet and its anonymity.  We can blame it on a society that likes to tell everyone that they are special.  We can blame this on the parents of these people for not teaching their children how to talk to other people.  There are a lot of things we can blame this on but in the end there is no one to blame but the person that is being rude.

They control their own responses.  They are the one that could have said good luck and chose not to.

More often then not, and seeing it a lot more with the addition of LFR, there will be someone who takes every moment they can to berate someone else.  Be it picking on their performance, at their gear selection, gems or enchants, or even as base as picking on their server or guild just for the sake of making themselves feel better.

Why is it that everyone feels the need to be special?  So much so that they have to do so at the expense of others.

I have noticed from my own experience that the person that starts to trash talk is usually someone not doing as well as they should and maybe it is a defense mode that makes them start to talk crap.  Maybe it is a fear that someone will point out that they are not as good as they think they are.  So to keep someone else from pointing out how they did they have to point out how someone else did to put attention on them.

They are wound up so tight that they go on the offense to attack anyone for anything and this just recreates a bad in game atmosphere.

Do these people realize that there are real people on the other end of the screen?  Do they realize that those people might actually have feelings?

Every time I see someone say to kick all the baddies doing under 15K it bothers me.  It bothers me because there is no need to be rude.

"We need more DPS so we have to kick the lowest ones" would work just as well as saying "kick the baddies under 15K".

Why do people choose the rude or hurtful words?  Given an option, 99 out of 100 times, you will see someone address a situation like this with the choice that shows they lack social skills.

The only vote kick I ever started in a 5 man was against a boomkin doing less then 3K and I said in party before I kicked them that I was sorry but after three wipes and them never pulling even 3K I had to kick them or we would not be able to down the boss because we need more DPS.  I did not call them a baddie, even if they where pretty horrible to be honest.  I explained we needed more DPS if we where going to down the boss and explained they where low man on the totem pole so to speak.

I am sure the thunder chicken was quite upset with being kicked but I am also sure that what I said left him feeling a hell of a lot better then if I said l3p you f'n noob and then kicked him would have left him feeling.

Perhaps the way I handled it made them think they might need to look at what they are doing and try to do better next time instead of just thinking that some elitist asshole kicked them which I am sure they would have thought if I insulted them before kicking them.

Words have power and even with the anonymity of the internet they can still hurt.  The person they hurt might be unknown, the person that did the hurting might be unknown, but those people are both real people with real feelings and real emotions.

I have read on some peoples blogs how people have broken down in tears in real life because of things that where said and done.  I have heard people on vent in my guild so upset over things that someone else said.  I have watched good groups turn into insult fests.  I have seen good players turn to crap because you can tell they are obviously upset in real life and not playing as well as they could.

I have watched how the fabric of the game gets torn down as the veil of fun we throw over it gets burnt and turned into a blazing inferno of hate filled bile so often to the point where it is no longer a game of WoW but a game of russian roulette.  If I queue up will I get a good group or a group of those people.

It seems as if anything turns these people into hate mongers.  Win a roll for something they wanted?  Get ready for the insults.  Do better on something then they did?  Get ready for the insults.  Do something different then they are used to?  Get ready for the insults.

They will find stuff to insult you about, even if there isn't anything.  God forbid you make a mistake from that point on, they have it out for you, they are wound so tight now that the second they get the chance they are going to pounce on you and rip your heart out if given the chance.

The game in and of itself is in a fair place right now.  The people that play the game however are the worst they have ever been.  It seems as if everyone has it in for someone.  Everyone is wound too tight and is ready to explode.

I am not sure why it is, but I am getting more upset when I see someone insult someone else.  Sure, it does not involve me, but I am there to witness it and it bothers me.  It bothers me because I know that is a real person that is being ripped apart in a game that is meant to be fun.  It bothers me because I know it will only continue to get worse.  That behavior is contagious.  That behavior needs to be stopped because it can only be bad for the game.

It might never happen, check that, it will never happen, but blizzard needs to take the bull by the horns and start handing out punishments to the people that act like this, the ones with no social skills.

Sorry, we need more DPS for this boss is 1000 times better then l2p noob.

What happened to social skills?  It is sad when an anti-social person like myself has better social skills than most of the people I run into in the game.

Have a good day, and please, be civil to the people you meet in randoms.... yes, even if they suck.

48 comments:

  1. I certainly agree with you, but its actually much worse. Frequently I see people belittling others for no real reason, just for the sake of doing it.

    I was in a 5 man as a Frost Mage, my DPS was consistently second, not the best, but there were was one DPS below me. I got my ass handed to me for playing frost and was kicked from the group.

    Yes, I prefer fire, but I wanted to try frost (it was ok), I got kicked because some warrior didn't like my spec?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article.plastic phone cover

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful article, Given so much info in it, These type of articles keeps the users interest in the website, and keep on sharing more.fridge repairs perth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many shops charge an excessive amount of for these kinds of products. Try foldable your clothing in innovative methods will occupy less room. Trying away different foldable techniques enables more to suit in your own bag.Me Before You Official Movie Review Complete

    ReplyDelete
  5. There tend to be many excellent online sources to offer you information how to correctly prepare as well as store food for the camping journey.silicone coin purse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deem as magnanimous beside difference in fiat to blunder for this saintly sale inventory group unusual piddling encompass introduce.personal injury lawyers boca raton

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to know that the new comedy Scrambled Eggs will approach NEW York premiere at Times Square’s Beckett Theatre. A funny and witty author named Robin Amos Kahn and Gary Richards write the play. The media accepted it as a funny play in which describes the journey though her life.West Palm Beach personal injury lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  8. who learns to let go of her desires and wants, and becomes better skilled at embracing the extraordinary splendor of the.Tree Pruning Nassau County

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have some plans which might be feasible and sucessful.
    Sudhir stamp duty in scotland

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Usa offers a lot of choices which choosing it's possible to be difficult! Narrow lower your best choices as well as let your whole family choose.http://www.robinsonfps.com/procedures/rhinoplasty/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before combining all your understudy credits, it is essential to comprehend the key elements of an understudy advance combination program.custom t shirts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Howdy and a debt of gratitude is in order for the sites. I loved the perusing through the web journal. the photos in the sites were awesome.Thanks for sharing such an amazing thought.wireless home internet

    ReplyDelete
  13. This content is simply exciting and creative. I have been deciding on a institutional move and this has helped me with one aspect.bank exchange rates euro

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business.refinance home bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this,like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is great blog.custom t shirt printing

    ReplyDelete
  16. ats enjoy getting into any and all small spaces. A breakaway collar is a good option since it will break if pulled too tight.voodoo magic spells

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses.termite treatments

    ReplyDelete
  18. Several of my classmates voiced their distresss that their monograph closet were calamitous roster oriented comrades, I guileless smiled separate it did minus happened between my ideal coincident you. Instantly I am convinced that there are treatise agencies who gave assures of pardon they can't truckle up. It's exceedingly beginner.Shopping trips Virgin Islands

    ReplyDelete
  19. I laughed out loud, shed some tears … Scrambled Eggs is a theatrical feast for women of all ages and the men who love them!" and CBS’ Magee Hickey “I haven't laughed so hard in years. It's touching, poignant, funny and oh so very real."sex ejaculation spells

    ReplyDelete
  20. The website is looking bit flashy and it catches the visitors eyes. Design is pretty simple and a good user friendly interface.car service from nyc to ct

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anyhow, this recipe isn’t going to solve world hunger or save the environment, but it managed to keep me from wasting another package of fish that was probably a day away from limbomeeting room scheduling software

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have passed in my research done on the topic of interaction between community capacities and resilience building. Now I am working on the publication out of it.custom t shirts

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your article has piqued a lot of positive interest. I can see why since you have done such a good job of making it interesting.pretty covers

    ReplyDelete
  24. Exactly the reason why perhaps not really take a few of the burden from yourself through enabling your loved ones members that will help you in your own daily work. Here are a few ideas that you could put in to action to begin obtaining your own household included.bees in tucson

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it.1960s pussy

    ReplyDelete
  26. I appreciate that you produced this wonderful article to help us get more knowledge about this topic. I know, it is not an easy task to write such a big article in one day, I've tried that and I've failed. But, here you are, trying the big task and finishing it off and getting good comments and ratings. That is one hell of a job done!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for presenting this information is very useful, for it will we wait for other information.Operating room scheduling software

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was not too familiar with this term correctly. But it seems herbicide is a product developed by a company or group.golf short game

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is excellent work yet again from your side. I am really astonished and pleased at the same time with this work. I just hope I get to see some more great stuff like this very soon from you.Driveway Resin

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like this article. You have raised the issues clearly and resolve it. Thank you for sharing your opinions with people. mens 70s shirts

    ReplyDelete
  31. i want to say thanks for this post. Good post. I have no words to appreciate this post .best recruitment agencies in Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  32. great work has done thanks for sharing and keep it up port perry real estate

    ReplyDelete
  33. My business is extremely loved due to this blog. The a informative subject matter. This support us very much to fix a few problems. The opportunity are generally therefore excellent in addition to doing work style therefore quick. I do think it usually is support everyone. perfect golf swing

    ReplyDelete
  34. Nice blog and absolutely outstanding. You can do something much better but i still say this perfect.Keep trying for the best net worth

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great tips I have noted all in my diary I'll use your all tips as you mentioned I really like your article I was searching on this topic as I'm working on this topics too.you can see my work but yours is too good I personally appreciate you for this. Keep working like this.mls real estate

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free.Schlüsselnotdienst Wien

    ReplyDelete
  37. Good blog post. I want to thank you for interesting and helpful information and I like your point of view. Thank you!best travel gift card

    ReplyDelete
  38. I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the information are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which really should do the trick! Have a nice day.pharmaceutical recruitment agencies Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hello that had been wonderful to know to learn. Understand towards wonderful write-up. Unique make it possible for when compared to that could.Driveway Resin

    ReplyDelete
  40. Get a wide range of packing and moving companies at helloenquiry.in. We endeavour to furnish the best packers and movers companies in Jaipur at ease of Internet.embossed business cards uk

    ReplyDelete
  41. The positive comments and do well wishes are very motivational and greatly appreciated.Arsenal Stadium Tour

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow that's a cool poem.Those are words that create vivid images in my mind, it's wonderful. I would love to share mine . busco trabajo en houston tx

    ReplyDelete
  43. I stumbled upon your own site perfect on your own would like. Their particular details attributes wonderful along with things. We now have examine most of them along with bought a large bin off from their site. Regards on the details post. Certainly cya! Fantastic. Regards on the find out.termite inspections

    ReplyDelete
  44. To find out what all of this supplement that can really do, read the review below.towing Gulfport

    ReplyDelete
  45. Sheng Tong develops nanotechnologies for the early detection and treatment of atherosclerosis, cancer and many other human diseases. Currently, his research in Professor Baos Laboratory of Biomolecular Engineering and Nanomedicine focuses on the development of functional iron oxide nanoparticles, a versatile nanomaterial that can be used for in vitro diagnostics, magnetic

    ReplyDelete