I had this long post written and I started to trail off my own topic so I deleted it. One thing led to another and then I noticed that it was not just one thing I was writing about. It was many things, many little things, I was writing about. Then it refreshed a memory to me of something a friend that quit in cataclysm said to me a couple of weeks ago when I was complaining to him about some of the things in the game. Why don't you just quit, you saw this all coming years ago.
In truth I do not know why I do not quit. I like the people in my guild maybe. I don't feel like finding a new hobby to pass my free time. I've actually enjoyed writing about it even when I wasn't enjoying playing it. There might be as many little reasons why I have not quit as there are reasons I should.
When you quit blizzard asks you why you have decided to quit playing the game. Presumably to gather some information about what might need to be changed. I am not exactly sure they read the things, if anything I have learned in my time playing the game it is that you can never trust blizzard to do the things you expect of them.
If you were going to quit and could only pick one thing to say is the reason for quitting, what would that one thing be?
Here is a list of some of my (and others) biggest pet peeves in game, all things that could push people over the edge.
1) Community: Toxic
- The term toxic community has become the common way of saying rude, disruptive and disrespectful players. It is a common hot point and even more so recently. Unless you live under a rock in game it is impossible to escape this part of it.
2) Community: Lack of.
- Small servers, less reason to group, no pugs, people feeling tied to a guild, many reasons why the world just seems a lot smaller today. It isn't just about the server size.
3) Content: Mandatory.
- So much content has a compulsory feeling. I needed reputation to get original valor gear. Need to raid to get current valor gear. Need to do quests to get coins. Need to do reputation to get patterns. Etc. So many people have complained about content feeling mandatory and whether you or I agree means nothing. If it felt that way to them, that is how they feel. You can not argue feelings.
4) Content: Can't keep up.
- Some people feel the need to do everything and blizzard flooding us with new content on many levels means the people that feel the need to do them all can get overwhelmed. This could be considered a good problem actually but for some it is a breaking point.
5) PvP: Balance.
- No matter what blizzard does this is a no win situation. Even if they balanced everything perfect people will always feel it is not balanced if their class is not OP and they will quit over it.
6) PvP: World PvP.
- Lack of it is a major point for some players. World PvP has been a sticking point for many for a long time with no real solutions seeming to be added to try and get people out in the world fighting any more.
7) PvP: World PvP balance.
Thanks to gear changes, when out in the world raid geared PvE players have an advantage over lower geared PvP players that the lower geared PvP players do not need to deal with as much in instanced PvP thanks to capping gear in the instance making them feel the area they should have the advantage in while in the world, they don't.
8) Loot: Random Number Generator.
- They said they put in some bad luck protection against bad luck steaks. Some say it works, some says it doesn't. Lose enough and it starts to be a reason worth saying I give up.
9) Loot: Drop rates.
- Worse than bad luck with loot is bad luck with quest item drops. My 2 runestones in 6 weeks is my current number 1 pet peeve. People in my guild that started after me have 8 already and from my feeling getting that cloak ASAP is mandatory for a raider so shitty drop rates sucks. If I quit today, this would be the reason I choose after getting none again yesterday.
10) Raiding: LFR.
- From the long waits to the bad groups to the people in them, quite often there is nothing good to be said about the LFR.
11) Raiding: Normals.
- Many normal mode guilds complain it is too hard and blizzard sees it, admits it and does nothing about it. Nothing can make people feel like quitting more than than someone who basically says, yes I know it is a problem but I am not going to fix it.
12) CRZ: Everything about it.
- The CRZ sucks, no matter which end of the fence you are on with your feelings. You can not trade people, invite them to guild, do current raids, or many other things you should be able to do. This means that love it or hate it, CRZ sucks.
13) Leveling: Too fast.
- Some altaholics like myself liked the longer leveling as it gave us something to do when we were taking a break from our max level characters but now you get to max level too fast so you really can not enjoy a serious leveling session like you used to, for those types of people at least.
14) Leveling: Too slow.
- For every person that says it is too fast there are probably two that say it is too slow. Welcome to the xbox generation where everything is all about instant gratification. They will never win with this one as you see, some like it one way and some like it another and people will quit over both.
15) Dungeons: 5-mans
- No new five man dungeons really hit many in a sore spot. Enough of a reason to quit? For some it sure is.
I am sure there are 100s of reasons people could quit but these are the ones that pop into mind at the moment as I write this. If you could choose only one reason to say you quit, what would it be?
If I were to quit today it would be over drop rates because of the titan runestones. But even if I say that is the reason there would be so much more to it than just that. It would extend to the fact that gear plays such a huge role in the game now and that cloak actually means something. So the drop rates being bad are keeping me from being better. So even in that one reason there is so much more to it on many levels.
Maybe the reason I would quit should be something I did not even list. The gear being so important issue. Yeah, that would be it. I do not like the design that gear is such a huge factor in ones ability. I liked it when I could be in gear a tier or two behind and still kick ass and be number one because skill could compensate for some gear. Now, it does not work that way any more. No amount of skill can compensate for not having that 600 cloak, and other gear, the game apparently wants to keep from me.
What would be your one reason if you could choose only one? You can choose something that I did not mention as I know there are many other reasons people would quit. If there were only one thing that blizzard could hear your thoughts on, what would it be?
🔒 Watching Blizzard: It’s all about Overwatch League
55 minutes ago